Author Topic: New player in the cutoff seat...  (Read 8095 times)

Nidociv

New player in the cutoff seat...
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
Heres an interesting rule many players don't know or understand, regardless of limit.
If you enter a game in the cutoff position( right behind the button) you CAN choose to wait for the button to go by, BUT you will receive a missed blind button.
As standard, then...in order to play you will have to either post both blinds or wait until it is your Big Blind again.

Point being:
The cutoff seat is the optimal position for a new player, there is no reason to wait and hold the seat, players are waiting.

Obviously you can come in at anytime you choose PRIOR to the blinds reaching you with no penalty.

that_pope

Re: New player in the cutoff seat...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »
Correct, but it is worded very confusingly.

Nidociv

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »
I suppose it is written a bit confusingly  :grin:

Let me try to clarify:
A new player has the right to wait until they are in optimal position ( last to act before the button, AKA the "cutoff" seat)to the dealer button to play.
Most of the time the open seat is in a position other that directly behind the button, so, the new player is  offered the option of either coming in immediately( and taking the blinds as they come) or waiting until the blinds/button have passed in order to achieve that optimal position. ( with no penalty, unless its a time game wherein that player must(always, regardless of position) post 1 single small bet before taking a hand).
Which leads to this:
An interesting rule many players don't know or understand, regardless of limit.
If ( as a new player)you enter a game in the cutoff position( right behind the button) you CAN still choose to wait for the button to go by( waiting an entire orbit of hands), BUT you will receive a missed blind button as the blinds pass you the FIRST time.
As standard, then...in order to play you will have to either post both blinds or wait until it is your Big Blind again.

Point being:
The cutoff seat is the optimal position for a new player, there is no reason to wait and hold the seat, players are waiting.

Obviously you can come in at anytime you choose PRIOR to the blinds reaching you with no penalty.

clarkstar

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
are you saying this is a new rule? cause i have not seen this enforced ever...

Nidociv

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
are you saying this is a new rule? cause i have not seen this enforced ever...

It is not a new rule, i have seen it enforced before,its just one of those rules that hardly EVER comes up.

that_pope

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
A simpler explanation is that a new player in a game, or a new player to a must move game must take a hand before the blinds pass him twice, or else he gets a missed blind button and must now make up the blinds.  So basically that is all fine and such unless the new player first sits in the CO, then if the blinds pass him once, he gets a missed blind button...

CrazyLond

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
Makes sense to me.  The c/o is the best spot to start in since you can't start on the button.  Other spots can let the blinds pass them once so they can start in the c/o.  Gives everyone the same chance I guess.